“Representative payee” can help Social Security or SSI recipient manage their benefits

A senior woman with her daughter online purchasing together

Many Social Security recipients are capable of managing their own affairs, but not all can.  If someone you love needs assistance with their federal government benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) can appoint a person or an organization to act as a “representative payee” responsible for receiving and managing a person’s benefits.

When SSA assigns a representative payee, they select someone who knows the beneficiary’s needs and can make decisions about how to best use their benefits for their care and wellbeing. Representative payees are responsible for submitting an annual form to account to SSA for the benefit payments they receive and manage. Verified representative payees can then get a benefit verification letter and manage direct deposit and wage reporting for their beneficiaries.

If you are concerned that someone you know may be incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her benefits, please call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request an appointment or visit https://www.ssa.gov/payee/ for more information.