Five tax time tips!
The income tax filing season has begun and important tax documents should be arriving in your mailbox. Even though your return is not due until April 17 this year, you can make tax time easier on yourself by getting an early start. Here is a list that we complied to help ensure a smooth tax-filing process:
1. Gather your records. Round up any documents you will need when filing your taxes: receipts, canceled checks and other documents that support income or deductions you’re claiming on your return.
2. Watch your mailbox. W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, and K-1s will be mailed to you soon. You will need these forms, as well as your other documentation mentioned in #1, in order for us to complete your returns. Stay organized by keeping these forms in one location when you find/receive them.
3. Have a question? Give us a call. If it is after hours for our office, you can use the Interactive Tax Assistant available on the IRS website (www.irs.gov) to find answers to your tax questions about credits, deductions, general filing questions and more. Additionally, Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, on the IRS website, is a comprehensive resource for taxpayers, highlighting most things you will need to know before filing your return.
4. Consider direct deposit. If you elect to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account, you’ll receive it faster than a paper check in the mail.
5. Review! Review! Review! Don’t rush. Mistakes and lack of information slow down the preparation of your return.
Your ShindelRock tax preparer is here to help make filing your taxes as simple as possible. However, we do ask that you submit your information as early as you practically can. Do not put off this important task, start early, and call your ShindelRock client service manager as soon as you have any questions or think you are ready to have your taxes prepared.