How to adopt, change or retain a tax year

Partnerships, corporations or trusts may be required to file Form 1128 to adopt or retain a certain tax year. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Prepare Form 1128. Fill in Parts I, II, III and Section B.
  2. File before the due date of the federal income tax return for the first effective year (not including extensions). Do not file earlier than the day following the end of the first effective year.
  3. File the Form 1128 as follows:
    Internal Revenue Service Center
    Attention: Entity Control
    Use the address where the company’s tax return is filed.
  4. Attach a copy of Form 1128 to the federal income tax return filed for the short period.
  5. The initial short-year return must compute tax on an annualized basis and pro-rate the tax for the number of months being reports.

For the latest information and developments related to Form 1128 and its instructions, go to If you have further questions, the professionals at ShindelRock are always available to help guide you through these topics.