Like most people, you probably do not want to admit it, but you probably love distractions. In fact, you get a shot of dopamine every time something pulls you in another direction. Why do you think you check your email so much?
It is easy to get distracted during the work day, so here are seven tips for staying productive from Inc. Magazine :
1. Work backwards from goals to milestones to tasks. Writing “launch company website” at the top of your to-do list is a sure way to make sure you never get it done. Break down the work into smaller and smaller chunks until you have specific tasks that can be accomplished in a few hours or less.
2. Stop multi-tasking. No, seriously—stop. Switching from task to task quickly does not work. In fact, changing tasks more than 10 times in a day can lead to more serious issues.
3. Be militant about eliminating distractions. Lock your door, put a sign up, and turn off your phone, texts, email, and instant messaging.
4. Schedule your email. Pick two or three times during the day when you’re going to use your email.
5. Use the phone. Email is not meant for long conversations. Do not reply more than twice to an email. Pick up the phone instead.
6. Work on your own agenda. Do not let something else set your day. Most people go right to their emails and start freaking out.
7. Work in 60 to 90 minute intervals. Your brain uses up more glucose than any other bodily activity. Typically you will have spent most of it after 60-90 minutes.
As CPA’s, we love distractions, especially during tax season. These rushes of dopamine keep us going. However, ShindelRock does have seasoned professionals, that can help identify where your company is losing some of it’s productivity. Please contact us  if you have any questions regarding your staff’s productivity.