Request a copy of filed 1040 or 1040 transcript with these IRS forms

Filers may seek a copy of a previously filed 1040 federal tax return in two ways:

  1. Request a copy of the tax return as filed (Form 4506).  This request will provide an exact copy of what filed and the return can be sent to third parties.  These are available for the past year and the prior six years.  The cost is $43 per tax return requested and it can take 75 days for the IRS to respond.
  2. Request a copy of the data on the return, or a transcript (Form 4506T).  Transcripts may be of either data filed per the original return, which are available for the recent year filed along with the past three years (the data should be complete but will not include subsequently filed amended returns or IRS changes).  There is also a tax account rranscript” available that covers summary data and taxes owed/paid over the last ten years; it will also include any amendments or changes.  There is no option to have this data mailed directly to third parties and there is no cost to this type of request.

Should you need help requesting a copy or transcript of 1040 tax records, please contact a ShindelRock tax professional.